Exploring the Arts as Faithful Service
What is EAFS Boston?
Exploring the Arts as Faithful Service (EAFS) is an opportunity for a cohort of six young adults (under the age of 30) who are discerning a call around the intersection of social justice, faith-based service, and the arts. This program is especially designed for people who are feeling like their faith commitments are leading them into doing something with the arts and aren’t quite sure where that fits in given their religious tradition and/or personal path. Those selected will be folks who would want (a) mentoring and support and (b) be able to be present for the dates noted below.
What do EAFS Boston participants get?
- In late February of 2018 each participant will meet with a mentor either via video teleconference or in person. This conversation will be the beginning of learning about the participants to help ARC learn more about how they could be best supported.
- In early March all six participants will gather for a video conference call to meet each other. This will be a time for them to virtually meet one another in advance of their retreat.
- By 3pm on Thursday March 8th participants will gather in Newton, MA (just outside of Boston) at the Walker Retreat Center. The afternoon of March the 8th and the morning of the 9th will be a time of prayer, reflection, conversation, and discernment. Participants will be encouraged to connect with one another, have reflection time with project leaders, and have clear space to articulate how it is they see their work being called forth. Note: Participants will have to arrange for their own travel, however their housing and food costs will be covered by the grant.
- On March 9th the participants will be part of an arts and activism workshop that is being facilitated by The Sanctuaries, an ARC partner organization.
- From the afternoon of March 9 through the evening of March 10th, participants will have the opportunity to participate in ARC’s Theopoetics Conference as they feel led.
- Introductions to other conference attendees whose work is resonant with their own emerging call.
- On the morning of Sunday, March 11th all six participants will meet again with the project leaders for worship, reflection, and potential covenants of commitment in which they consider what they want their own next steps to be.
- Each participant will individually meet with an EAFS project leader in April and September. The full group will meet via video conference once more in May.
How do I apply?
Complete the form below by 11:59 pm on Sunday Feb 11th. All those who apply will hear if they have been selected by Friday, February 16.